Introduction: Battery Heater

Picture of Battery Heater

This will use a 9v battery, battery connector, and paperclip to make a battery heater that will heat up the paperclip!

Step 1: Materials

Picture of Materials

You need a 9 volt battery, a battery connector, and a paperclip.

Step 2: Unravel the Paperclip

Unravel the paperclip to make a metal rod.

Step 3: Battery Connector

Picture of Battery Connector

Connect the battery connector to the battery.

Step 4: Put It Together

Wrap the red end of the battery connector (where the copper wire shows) around one end of the paperclip. Then, wrap the black end of the battery connector around the other end of the paperclip.

Step 5: Done

The paperclip will start heating up!

Comments

tomatoskins (author)2016-04-26

Interesting idea. How long does the heater last?

Nmoleo­ (author)tomatoskins2016-09-14

You should not try this; a paperclip has a very low resistance and the battery could combust if you do this for too long...

hafizan89 (author)2016-05-03

Being nice,

This is a very dangerous thing to do. This is basically short circuit on the battery. If you keep this up it'll make the battery combust and your home/pants/life will be on fire. Fire is no play thing.

MikB (author)2016-04-30

You missed:Step 6: The battery will then go bang.

Lavoz24 (author)2016-04-28

Not trying to put you down or anything but isn't this the same as the hot wire foam cutter just on a smaller scale? I believe so, If so, what's the difference, besides the foam cutter being bigger, between the two? I mean, I've seen them hooked up to batteries and no one complain about fumes or it blowing up. Why complain here?

MikB (author)Lavoz242016-04-30

Big difference. A hot wire cutter has resistance wire that heats up along its length. A paperclip is practically a dead short.

I wouldn't run a hot wire cutter off a tiddly battery like a PP3, they are not built for it. Needs a power supply, or a bigger battery.

Also: Batteries say "Do not short circuit". I can vouch for PP3 batteries going off like firecrackers when shorted. They may not have much energy, but when they let it out all at once it's not fun.

Green gadgets (author)2016-04-26

Isn't this sorta dangerous ??? I once put a 9v and a mgnet in my pocket and it blew up in my pants and it really burned

splitbee (author)Green gadgets 2016-04-27

you were just to hot to handle lol

spacepymp (author)2016-04-27

Nichrome is toxic, do not use it. This is dangerous though, as a battery is not suppposed to be constantly shorted, it could disrupt the akaline reaction in a bad way

Dalton63841 (author)spacepymp2016-04-27

Fumes from Nichrome when welding are toxic, but Nichrome wire is used in almost all heating elements, from electronic cigarettes and space heaters to blow driers and stoves. (A lot use Kanthal, but Nichrome is still very common.)

Dalton63841 (author)2016-04-27

Use Nichrome wire for a better effect. The paperclip is providing almost a dead short, and the only thing preventing the battery from blowing up is the 9v battery's high internal resistance.

About This Instructable

3,343views

5favorites

More by coolmakerclay:Battery Heater
Add instructable to: