A home-made knock-off of a cologne/after-shave that can cost big bucks in department stores. (Note:This is steeped instead of distilled, so it will take 30 days to make.)
Step 1: What You Need
TO START WITH:
- A very clean large glass jar (NOT PLASTIC!) with an air-tight lid (A Mason jar is perfect for this).
- Lots of dried bay leaves (from the local supermarket or health food store).
- Dark rum (from the liquor store. The cheap stuff will do very nicely, thank you).
- Time (You'll be steeping the leaves in the rum, so it will take 30 days to complete).
AFTER YOU'RE DONE:
- Another glass container (such as a large, clean jar)
- Small glass bottles (To store the finished product).
- A strainer and a funnel.
Step 2: Start the Steeping
Take the bay leaves and break them in half width-wise (that is, fold the tops against the bottoms until they snap). Put the leaves in the glass jar standing up, and pour in enough dark rum to cover them completely. Put the lid on the jar and seal it tight. Then put the jar in a dark place for 30 days (Mark it on your calendar). Please resist the temptation to open the jar and sniff it while it's steeping. During this period, you can go shopping for little glass decanter bottles (preferably with dark glass) to put the finished product in.
Step 3: After 30 Days
Get your jar and open it. Fair warning: The smell will be overpowering at first. Wash your hands and then take out the leaves (Throw the leaves away), Get a small glass container and pour the brew through a strainer to get out the stray pieces of bay leaf. Then fill up your small decanter bottles with the cologne. It makes a great after-shave and body splash. Also, you can give away bottles as gifts to friends or relations. For further batches, you can experiment with adding other aromatics, like vanilla or sandalwood.
Very important: DO NOT DRINK THIS! Thank you.