I used 3/4" thick lauan, a fairly light wood from the Philippines usually used for shelving and door frames etc.
This was my first attempt at furniture not using any screws or nails. Only dowels and glue were used.
I don't have photos taken during construction, but I have included "blow-up" illustrations in the following steps. I have also uploaded a Sketchup 3D file of the plans, and a 2D EPS file of the cutting layout on a 4x8' sheet of plywood.
This whole set will take up a bit less than half of one 4x8' piece of plywood.
(Click on the [i] at the top left of photos to see an enlarged version.)
- One 4x8' piece of plywood (3/4" = 2 cm thick)
- 24 4 cm dowels (1 cm diameter)
- Wood glue
- Handheld circular saw
- Handheld jig saw
- Power drill (and 1 cm bit)
- Hand saw
- Router (using a corner round bit, and a straight plunge bit)
- Large woodwork bar clamps (in my case I just used weights so clamps were not really necessary)
- Small orbital sander
- Paintbrush and varnish
Step 1: Plan layout
I have also uploaded an EPS version of the plan layout, and a 3D Sketchup version, which can be downloaded from the first page of this Instructable.
- Next step, how it fits together.