Please bear with me as this is my first instructable, and I didn’t start the documentation until after the project was finished.
This was one of those projects that just kept changing. I originally only wanted to make an interesting light for my little corner of the garage where I relax with a secondhand TV, a vintage pop machine full of cold drinks, and an old stereo.
I began with inspiration from the “popcorn lamp” made by “i_make_stuff”.
Then I saw the Wine bottle accent lights made by “KEUrban”.
So I decided to put lights into a few beer bottles, and mount them to a wood base. I don’t know where the idea to hook the entire project to a color organ came from, or how it changed from a string of lights to one large bulb, but I think it turned out nice.
Step 1: The light kits
Step 2: The finished base.
The dimensions for the wood base are 3 inches, by 1 inch, by 21.5 inches. The center of the first socket is 2 ¼ inches from the edge. The sockets are then each 3 ½ inches apart from each other.
Step 3: Drilling the wood base.
Step 4: Base assembly
Step 5: Securing the wiring
Step 6: Wiring the base
In the final assembly of this single socket base I left out the wooden nickel, as I will not be using a glass bottle on this lamp.
A simple keyless candelabra socket is screwed onto the lamp nipple. The ends of the wires are stripped and soldered to prevent fraying.
The soldered wires are then screwed onto the appropriate sides of the socket and the enclosed cardboard insulator is slid down over the screw and exposed wires.
Step 7: Drilling the bottles
Now to prepare the beer bottles.
I used a 1 ½ inch diamond hole saw to cut out the bottom of the bottles. I chose that size of hole because it would allow the bottle to fit over most candelabra based light bulbs.
The hole was cut under running water with a cordless drill. The water kept the drill bit cool and washed all of the glass dust away. I certainly did not want to inhale any of that. Each bottle took about five minutes to drill through. I applied almost no pressure, and just let the hole saw slowly do it’s work. I tried rushing one bottle and it shattered just as the saw cut through.
The glove came out of my tackle box. It is like chainmail, and is made so that you do not cut yourself while cleaning fish.
The finished cut looks rough but is actually pretty smooth, with no sharp edges.
Step 8: Choosing the bottles and adding the bulbs.
To compensate for the different darkness of the bottles, I used 25 watt amber colored light bulbs in the clear bottles, 40 watt clear bulbs in the green bottles, and 60 watt clear bulbs in the brown bottles.
The bottles are not permanently attached, but instead just sit on top of the wood base and are centered by the wooden nickel blanks. So I can easily experiment with different bottles, or different bulbs.
Step 9: The finished product!
The two light kits sit neatly on top of my garage stereo for easy control of the light organ. Another feature of these kits is that each channel can be individually adjusted.
Step 10: The first video of the color organ in action.
Step 11: My second video, a better illustration.