Introduction: Beer Glazed Citrus Chicken With Orange Arugula Salad
This dish had the perfect amount of citrus – it made me wonder why I never make dishes with orange in them. I don’t like orange marmalade on it’s own, like in a sandwich, but man oh man is it good in this dish! And, if you add arugula, tangerines and pine nuts to any dish you have a winner!
Step 1: Beer Glazed Citrus Chicken Ingredients
1/2 cup wheat beer of your choice
1/4 cup orange juice
3 tablespoons orange marmalade
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 – 2 pounds mix of boneless chicken thighs and drumsticks
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
Step 2: Orange Arugula Salad
handful of baby arugula per plate
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon freshly squeeze orange juice
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
Step 3: Directions
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2) Combine the first 1/4 cup beer plus the orange juice, orange marmalade, and garlic in a small saucepan over medium heat; whisk until the mixture comes to a boil then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 10 minutes.
3) Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Add the salt & pepper seasoned chicken to the hot skillet, browning on both sides (about 5 minutes per side). After both sides are brown add the beer mixture to the skillet and use a wooden spoon to scrape any bits off the bottom of the pan. Pour in the remaining 1/4 cup of beer scraping off any stuck bits off the pan; stir in the beer & orange marmalade mixture and turn off the heat.
4) Place the chicken in the oven uncovered basting the chicken with the glaze in the bottom of the pan every 5 minutes and bake for about 20 minutes / until the chicken is cooked through.
5) Whisk together the olive oil, orange juice, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper until combined. Toast the pine nuts.
6) Place a handful of arugula, tangerines, red onion and one chicken breast on each plate. Drizzle with the dressing and sprinkle a few toasted pine nuts on top.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.