Who doesn't love onion rings?
This is a recipe for onion rings but with a twist- it includes beer! adding beer to the batter makes the onion rings taste oh-so-much better! it makes them light and crispy crunchy!
Step 1: Ingredients
• 2 separate cups of all-purpose flour
• salt, pepper
• two cloves of crushed garlic
• 12 ounces beer/ 1 bottle
• Cold water or Buttermilk
• Oil (for frying)
Step 2: Separating the Onions
- Cut onions half an inch thick, remove dark exterior cover of onions and separate them into rings.
Soak them in Cold water (or buttermilk) for 1 hour. This helps in breaking down the onions and removing their bitterness.
- In a pan/dutch oven heat up oil for frying them rings.
Step 3: Battering Up
- In a bowl, combine one cup of flour,salt, pepper and crushed garlic.
Mix them thoroughly.
- In another bowl combine beer and one cup of flour and mix thoroughly.
adding beer to this recipe makes the coating much more crunchy!
Step 4: Frying the Rings! and Dip
- Remove onion rings from buttermilk, shake off excess.
- Dip the rings in flour,coat properly and shake off excess, then dip in beer batter.
Drop the onion rings in oil and be sure not to crowd rings as they will stick together.
- When golden, remove and drain on paper napkins/towels.
The onion rings can be served with plain mayonnaise like I did or you can use this recipe to make a spicy dip -combine sour cream, mayonnaise, sun-dried tomatoes, lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, white wine and minced garlic and little chipotle sauce in a mixer or food processor. you can even add chopped coriander or mint. cover and refrigerate it.
Hope you all liked!
suggestions and comments are welcome.
Also, this is my twist on an onion rings recipe I saw on instructables- https://www.instructables.com/id/Goooulish-Onion-O-...