A BenchBox is a furniture unique industrial design that combines the ideas of a bench and a box (of course!).
The BenchBox is a space saving furniture, this because it combines two diferent functions in a small confortable space. The functional and minimalist design create a link between the user of the BenchBox.
Step 1: Getting Ready to Work
Working with wood and tools is fun, but it can also be dangerous. Because of this, you need to have some equipment so you won't get hurt.
We recomend the following equipment:
- Work boots
- Work goggles
- Work gloves
Also, download the blueprints to check specific dimensions.
Step 2: Materials and Tools
The BenchBox doesn't have many materials because of its simple design, but some tools will make you the life easier.
- 1.5" x 3.5" wood lumber (20ft long)
- Birch wood
- Tapicery cloth
- Wood rasp
- Band saw
- Radial saw
Step 3: Basic Parts
As a first activity working, we'll cut the basic parts of the BenchBox, what we'll have to cut is:
- Ten 1.5" x 3.5" x 24" wood lumbers
- Three birch wood pieces
- One 22" x 20" x 1.5"
- One 21" x 20" x 1.5"
- One 20" x 20" x 1.5"
For the wood pieces, use the radial saw, for the sponge square and cloth use a cutter
Step 4: Joints and Tracks
The BenchBox doesn't use any kind of nails, it only uses assembles, and we can make that using only joints and tracks.
1. Make finger joints on the 22" x 20" x 1.5" and the 20" x 20" x 1.5" birch wood pieces (see blueprints)
2. Make tracks on the 1.5" x 3.5" lumbers (see blueprints)
Step 5: Assemble Pieces
Before any assemble, always glue the joints and tracks for a better assembly.
- Assemble the 22" x 20" x 1.5" and the 20" x 20" x 1.5" (with this you make the box)
- Assemble the lumbers with the 20" x 17.5" 1.5" birch wood piece (for the lower track)
- Assemble the lumbers with the 22" x 20" x 1.5" birch wood piece (for the upper track)
- Assemble the box on the upper track
Step 6: Making the Seat
The seat is a important part of the BenchBox, and the tapicery you use will contrast with the wood bench, so be creative selecting your tapicery cloth.
The seat it's really easy to make
- Put the 22" x 22" tapicery with the texture/pattern face down
- Put the sponge on top of the tapicery cloth
- Put the 20" x 20" birch wood piece on top of the sponge
- Staple the tapicery on the wood
As a final step, screw the cabinet hinges on one side of the seat and on the bottom inner face of the box, make sure it opens easily.
Step 7: Enjoy!
Sit on the BenchBox, store books, tools, shoes, anything!
Feel the confort, the function.
BenchBox team is:
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.