Cauliflower is full of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, great for detox, digestion, and so much more.
Cauliflower Mashed Instructions:
- Start with 1 head of organic cauliflower
Cut into pieces and you could steam it or boil it. I prefer steaming because boiling has been shown to negatively impact the enzymes in them.
The easiest way to steam is by putting it all in a pot, add ¾ cup of filtered water just to cover the bottom of the pan since we’re just steaming, put on low, with the lid on for 10-12 minutes. You know they’re done if you can easily put the fork in and pull the fork out. Now you want these as dry as possible since they absorb water like a sponge and excess water will make them runny.
- 1-tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup of butter or ghee. You could also use Greek yogurt or sour cream or even cream cheese.
- ½ teaspoon of Himalayan salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 clove chopped sautéed garlic and half an onion. I like to sauté them in ghee or coconut oil with rosemary first for about 3 minutes. An easier option is ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
At this point you can put this all in a food processor and mix, for me that makes it a little too creamy, so I prefer to mash them old fashion style and have a little lumpy.
Now, add some parsley and you have an awesome cauliflower garlic mashed. Great all by itself!
Twice bake it! - Part 2
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Add 2/3 cup of shredded cheese. Can be a mix of cheese as well if you like. I’m used raw cheddar in my video and that’s great.
Now I like to add a few herbs to this since it’s an easy way to get them in your system. I use:
- - ½ teaspoon Fennel, cumin, coriander, and turmeric. (You’ll barely notice them especially if the garlic is in there.)
- Put some coconut oil on the dish - Pour the potatoes in there - Bake in the oven at 400 for 45 minutes. Add some more cheese at the end and you’re going to love it.
You want to cook it until you see it burning a bit at the ends.
Why Cauliflower Mashed is Better than Potatoes:
Potatoes are so high in carbohydrates, and a particular type of carb that is digested rapidly causing blood sugar and insulin to surge and then dip or what’s known as a high glycemic load.
Potatoes are amongst the highest of any food similar to a can of coke and more than table sugar.
This up and down of insulin makes people feel hungry again soon after eating which can lead to overeating, which is why proteins and fats satiate people more than empty carbs because it’s digested slower. It also makes people feel tired or go into a food coma after eating.
Potatoes also have anti-nutrients such as saponins and they can lead to leaky gut syndrome
Eating sporadically is okay, they are better then white flour or grains and are gluten free. Baked are the safest way to cook them but this is one time where you should listen to your body. Do you feel drained of energy after you eat them? Do your joints aches? If you are eating potatoes be sure to have some healthy fat with them such as raw butter, ghee or coconut oil…to lighten up the glycemic load.
But If you are overweight have diabetes, autoimmune, have food allergies or other issues there is no good reason to eat them,
Cauliflower on the other hand is very low on the glycemix index in addition to all the other nutrients and benefits they offer.
If you don’t know, all non-stick coated cookware is terrible for you, the environment and your pets. Avoid those and others that leach heavy metals and more. I use 100% ceramic cookware as you see in the video. They perform great, you can still grab the pans when they are cooking, they cook evenly, and I love using them. 27% Off 20pc Cookware Set While Supplies LastWhy Ceramic Cookware Is Safer Than Stainless SteelBenefits of Xtrema Ceramic Cookware