Instructables
loading
loading
Picture of Best Glass Cleaner Ever

I have used of ton of commercial bought glass cleaners for home and auto. And they all leave either the nasty ammonia smell or had streaks. I have seen the homemade glass cleaners, but vinegar( to me) smells nasty. But then all was changed when I found out about the baby Shampoo glass cleaner.

 
Remove these adsRemove these ads by Signing Up

Step 1: The Science

Picture of The Science

Tearless Baby Shampoo has a measurement of 5.5 on the pH scale. Which makes it a safe solution. If your baby decides to lick the window, you will be comforted to know that he or she should be safe unless of an allergy or freaky uncontrollable element.

We all know that pH 'potential Hydrogen" is the measurement of a solution/substance to be acidic or alkaline (base). The scale goes from 1-14. So less than 7 is to be on the acid side and greater than 7 is to be alkaline. 7 is neutral, and what substance is that, pure water.

Common things that are acidic (less than 7); Lemon Juice 2.5, Vinegar 2.4-3, Tomatoes 4.3, Coffee 5, Clean Rain 5.8

Common things that are alkaline (more than 7); Tears 7.4 Sea Water 8, Baking Soda 8.5, Milk of Magnesia 10.5 , Ammonia 11, Bleach 12.5

When pH drops below about 2.5 or goes above 10 it is considered potentially hazardous. So think of it as you don't want to put lemon juice in your eye. Milk of Magnesia is slightly higher because it is used to counteract the stomach acidity.

Think about this commercial window cleaners can be any where from 10-14 on the pH scale and don't really look like they clean good.

Step 2: Gather Supplies

Picture of Gather Supplies
Are you ready for this humongous list of supplies... Just kidding

1. Spray bottle
2. Tear-less baby shampoo (name-brand or generic)
3. Table spoon

That's it!!! No nasty vinegar smell!! Amazzzzazzing!

Good post, nice to let people know about the pH scale as many people don't realize that vinegar is acidic and should never be used to clean mirrors or many other sensitive surfaces as from continuous use of vinegar will cause detrimental damage to surfaces, mirrors are just one example.

ABCass1 (author)  tadgh.oshea.1018 days ago

Thank you very much for your comment. I know lots of people that use it to disinfect (gross...) and they still get sick. I am bleach kind of guy, I want to make sure those nasty viruses and germs are D...E...A...D...DEAD. And good to know my house doesn't smell of that urine-clean smell.

Hi ABCass1, send me an email to info@jskcleaning.ie and i will be happy to forward you information on some of the safest and most effective cleaning methods available on the market today.

Kind Regards

Tadgh
ABCass1 (author) 8 months ago
Really! See you do learn something new everyday. Thank you!
tw868 months ago

also works good as anti fog too

ABCass1 (author) 8 months ago
When I first learned this I was a bit skeptic too
doodlecraft8 months ago

Wow, no way! Must try this!