Step 1: Items you'll need:
2. 30" Crochet thread (I think this is size 8 but I'm not positive. For this application, the bigger the better, we need it to be strong.)
3. Empty soda can
4. Darning needle
Step 2: Wrap the yarn around the can
2. Tighten the knot on the can
3. Wrap the yarn around the can. I made 225 wraps for this puffball.
Step 3: Prepare a constrictor knot
The diagrams below show how to tie a constrictor know using paracord so that it is easy to see.
Step 4: Tighten constrictor knot around yarn coil
2. Slip the constrictor knot around the coil of yarn.
3. Pull the knot tight. The tighter the better (as long as you don't snap the thread). If the thread snaps, simply cut it off and use a new piece of thread. The great thing about using a constrictor knot here is that once tight, the knot will not loosen.
4. Tie a simple overhand knot secure the knot. (Just to be complete, an overhand knot is the first knot you tie when you are tying your shoe, before you tie the bow.)
Step 5: Cut open and trim the puffball
2. Trim the excess yarn until it is shaped like a sphere. This much yarn will produce a nicely shaped ball approximately 3.5" in diameter (see picture #4) but you can also trim it down to 2.5" (see picture #5).