Introduction: Big Bad Vader Log Burner
Back by popular demand.
The last few vader log burners I've made have caused quite a storm. With this one I wanted to go bigger and badder and try and capture more of the original shape and styling.
The bottle I used was a 46kg I think...yeah pretty big...
Step 1: Marking Out
I magic marketed the face and cut the details out using my drill, 10mm bit and angle grinder with 1.2mm blade...I used a few of these!!
The plan was to cut the bottom off and use the lower section of the cylinder for the hood of the helmet.
Step 2: Mouth Detailing
I welded two bolts into the corner of the triangle to add styling.
Step 3: Hinge
I always fit the hinge before cutting the door so I know it'll always hang straight.
Mark out using a marker pen, drill 3mm hole and tap using a 4mm tapping wrench. The hinge is fitted with 4mm x 10mm machine screws.
Step 4: Bridges
One the bridge of the nose I welded a tube which I had split and cut creating more detailing.
Step 5: Thermal Exhaust Ports
I has running low on scrap buys of metal and with school out for the summer I had to improvise.
My first design used 3 scaffolding tubes welded together but I thought is sucked so ended up cutting them off and going with a 6 tier exhaust which I'm much happier with.
Step 6: Weld and Grind
The eyebrow pieces, Cheek detailing and handle are made from the left over cylinder. I also used a large section of the cylinder to create vaders hood.
Once welded I used a flap wheel fitted to my grinder to smooth all rough edges and strip the paint.
Step 7: Daddy Vader
At the side of a regular sized gas bottle you can see the big vader towers over my previous design.
The original is a 13 or 15kg gas bottle, the big one I think was a 46kg.
Step 8: Burn Vader Burn
Before painting with UHT paint I decided to give is a test burn, this will also burn off any of the remaining original paint.
Step 9: Matt Black
I gave vader 2 coats of UHT black paint and it's good to go.
If you like it please vote...thanks for looking...