I made a schematic using Upverter! This should help a lot of people.
Update 8-5-12: Thanks so much guys for the homepage feature AND the newsletter feature! I've always wanted one of my instructables in the newsletter!
Hand bike signals are boring, and who doesn't love electronics and LEDs? I don't do much road biking where I actually need turn signals, but they look cool and are fun to make. Also, they go great with an Altoids Bike Headlight on the Cheap! (That's another one of my 'ibles.)
~~~If you like this, please please please vote for it in the Bicycle, LED, and Hurricane Lasers Contests!~~~
**Video of the turn signals in action coming soon!**
Step 1: Ingredients
- 1- Project Box 3x2x1. UPDATE: scratch this. Use a bigger one! The pins from the switch didn't fit inside so I had to mount it the wrong way, and the battery didn't even fit! I would suggest using one at least a 1/2 inch bigger on all sides.
- 3- Velcro Straps or Hose Clamps - you could use zip ties, but then you would have to cut them every time you needed to remove the turn signal system for transportation.
- 1- Project Box 5x2.5x2
- 2- 10 ohm resistors
- 1- 9V battery snap
- 1- Center Off 3-way toggle switch
- 10- 5mm Yellow Flashing LEDs. Get some that require 1.8V so that you can use a 9V battery.
- 10- 5mm LED holders
- 2- old bike reflector mounts (one rear mount and one front mount)
- 1- 9V battery
- Hot glue or super glue
- Drill with assorted bits
- Solder & Soldering iron