Here is a list of edibles I found
- Nettle- a nice green vegetable- if you can pick it without getting stung.
- Mushrooms- I did successfully identify a few, but don't you go trying this.
- Rosehips- a huge, sweet fruit that you can eat fresh- on the Ohkotsk coast.
- Berries- on the road above lake Shikotsuko
- Chestnut trees- Asahikawa- but you have competition
- Walnut trees- The street trees in Engaru, and in many parks
- Asian Pear trees- in the campground park at Honbetsu
- Potatoes and onions- on the road, dropped by trucks
- Mugwort (medicinal herb)- for tea- everywhere on the roadside-
- Red Clover for tea - everywhere
- Yarrow for tea- everywhere- it also stops bleeding if applied to a wound or nosebleed.
If you fish, for goodness sakes, fish! I don't think there are many rules or any licences, but you can ask the police about it.Other stuff I found on the road
- Resealable aluminum bottles
- 200 yen
- Lighters that work
- Rubber straps
- 3 fish (!?)