This tutorial will include the construction of a sled mount capable of merging a vintage Fuji Variomatic Binocular with a Mobile Phone Camera. Using a binocular lens has many advantages including tack sharp optics, increased brightness, Depth of Field and of course the possibility of zoom.
My intention for this Sled mount is to unite both Binocular and Mobile Phone into a device capable of supporting high quality Images and Video.
Material used will include:
11x14in Stiff Black Cardstock, about 1/16in thick
Phone Sleeve Bumper Case
(2) Support Frames
Mobile Lens Support
1. Start by marking, along the longest side of the 11x14 Cardstock, two 1cm strips. If using a bumper make this about 8mm. By making the strips thinner then the Bumper Case Frame we will use this as a sled channel to hold the phone in place.
2. Measure the depth of the Binocular Eye Piece. A snug fit will help assimilate the Mobile Phone with the Binocular.
3. Mark a strip about 1.25in wide with divisions set 1cm apart. We will use these divisions as markers to fold a smooth curve. Depending on your type of Binocular there will be notches on the Eye Piece for Grip. Measure the Width between each notch and use those measurements for the above directions. I ended up with 1.25in width, ~16cm long, 9mm division, with a total of 15 divisions and 16 sides.
4. Again measure the rough diameter of the Binocular Eye Piece, and create a circle on the cardstock. Using the above measurement, marking 1cm along the circle to create shape with 16 sides. Create Flaps, same length as Lens Sleeve width, extending out from the 16 sided shape on every other side to create the supports that will connect to the Lens Sleeve.
5. Trace around your phone and leave a 1/16in border to compensate for when the Cardstock will be folded. Along the sides of your phones outline, leave a 1cm flap to allow connection with Support Frames. I kept the flap on the side with the buttons directly below the ( - ) Volume Button to allow for an instant stopping point. This helps with a consistent image viewing.
6. On the opposite side of the camera, mark an area to be cut out for easily gripping your phone to remove.
7. Trim all your pieces
10. Place bent Support Frame between Mobile Phone and the Sled mount. With Sled Body Flaps Folded up, back the Mobile Phone/Support frame unto the bottom Flap in its final placement. While Pinching the Sides of the Sled Body Flaps, to hold it in place, Rubber Cement the bottle flap to the Support Frame. Remember while gluing anything together, coat both side with Rubber Cement.
12. Finish off the Sled Body by Rubber cementing the second Support Frame around the outside of the Sled Body flaps.