The Bixler 2 from HobbyKing.com is one of the best kits for incoming r/c airplane hobbyist. This plane is great because it is a strong durable airframe that will grow with you. From first flight to fpv, this plane is ready to handle it all. The aspects that attracted me to this plane were the fact that I would be able to build my plane, large payload capability (GoPro, 3DR sensor package, etc.), carbon fiber reenforced wing and fuselage, side plates, and optional flaps. This Instructable will guide you from start to finish of the HobbyKing Bixler 2 (Kit) with tips that I have learned.
I suggest to buy the ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) version of this airplane. I bought the Kit version because I want to customize my Bixler 2 and I didn't want to pay for international shipping (+$25). The difference between the the ARF and the Kit version is the AVF version includes the brushless motor and servos. Here are the links fro both ARF and Kit versions:
Bixler 2 AVF Version:
Bixler 2 Kit Version:
Kit Additional Purchases (Recommended):
- Radio(6+ Channel): Spektrum DX6i with receiver
- Battery Charger: Primal Radient Charger
- Servos(9 gram x 6): 4 x JR 9g servos
- Motor (KV1300 x 1): Replacement Bixler 2 Motor
- Servo Extensions: JR heavy duty 24"
- Solder Equipment for my Charger and ESC connections
- 3M Outdoor 10lbs Mounting Tape
AVF Additional Purchases:
- Everything but Motor and Servos