Hello, here I am with a second installation of props for my childrens Cosplay at San Japan Mach 5. My son went as a male version of a character called Black Gold Saw from the Black Rock Shooter OVA. This character carried a large sword. I present to you my version of this weapon and its build.
Here’s what you will need:
1. Poplar wood 8”x 3/4” x 6’
2. Poplar wood 6” x 3/8” x 24”
3. Small Styrofoam skull (left over from Halloween)
4. Modge Podge,
5. Wood glue
3. Multifunction powertool
4. Utility Knife
5. Glue gun
Procedure1. Draw out the shape of the sword on the 8” x ¾” x 6’ Poplar plank (I kept the total length the height of my cosplayer) and I cut this shape out with my jigsaw.
4. I planed the Tsuba to shape and routered the outside edges with a rounder bit. I sanded the handle section to blend into the rest of the Tsuka (handle)
5. I rounded the Tsuka to make a more comfortable grip
6. I sanded all rough areas and shaped the edges of the ken where needed to keep it all uniform.
7. I spray painted the claw, Yaiba/Hamon (cutting edge/wave frost), and saw tooth gold and let it dry.
8. I had forgotten about the “scratch marks” on the Ken and so did them at this time with a file
9. I covered the areas I wanted to remain gold with painters tape and spray painted the rest of the weapon black.
10. I put three layers of Modge Podge (letting each layer dry before applying next) on the Styrofoam skull. I then spray painted this Gold once it was totally dry.
And there you are BLACK GOLDSAW READY FOR BATTLE!