Introduction: Black Plum or Indian Jamun Mocktail Recipe
A sweet purple drink to chill you in the scorching heat. The sweet, sour and acerbic flavours of the beautiful purple fruit Jamun or black plum or Java plum is something that makes it irresistible. Irresistible also because it brings back beautiful memories from childhood.
Please vote for me in the purple contest...
Step 1: Ingredients
1. 250 gms of Jamun or Black Plum, or two heaped cups
2. 2 tablespoon castor sugar
3. 1 and ½ tablespoon Grenadine Syrup
4. 3 tablespoon lemon juice
5. ½ teaspoon black salt or a little more to suit your taste
6. 2 cups water
7. 2 springs of mint for dressing
Some white salt to line the brim of your mocktail glass
Step 2: Preperation
1. Boil Jamuns, sugar and water together in a saucepan till the pulp is absolutely softened.
2. Allow cooling down to room temperature and then keep in the refrigerator and let it macerate for 1-2 hours.
3. Now de-seed, the best way is to push through a broad strainer and push down using a spoon or spatula till all the pulp along with the juice falls down and only seeds with some fruit skin are left on the strainer.
4. Use a blender to fine blend the pulp and juice together. Now strain using a fine strainer and refrigerate. Now add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Chill for at least 1-2 hours before serving.
5. To serve, line a cocktail glass with salt by first wiping the brim with a wet cloth and then placing inverted over salt spread in a plate.
6. Add some ice cubes in the bottom and pour the mocktail over it, top up with a spring of mint and serve chilled.
PS- The jamun syrup mixed with some vodka/gin/cognac should give a nice cocktail...
Please vote for me in the purple contest