This recipe inspired by seriouseats.com.
- BACON - one strip per serving
- skewers (if using wooden skewers, soak in water for 20 minutes before baking)
Bloody Mary Mix (makes 1):
- 1 tablespoon celery salt, mixed spices or table salt
- 1/4 lemon, cut into two wedges
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (or less to taste)
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce (I prefer Chipotle Tabasco! )
- 1 teaspoon horseradish (or wasabi)
- 2 ounces vodka (or tequila)
- 4 ounces high-quality tomato juice (not from concentrate - this is the most important part!)
- 1 splash bacon syrup*
- Garnish: 1 stick celery, 1 lemon wedge, 2 olives, pickled asparagus, go nuts. And don't forget the bacon!
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Piece one end of bacon with a skewer. Wind the bacon around the skewer, and pierce the other end.
- Bake on foil-lined tray for 10 minutes. I placed them on a rack to help them drain as they cooked.
- Carefully flip the skewers and bake another 10 minutes.
- Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Let cool before removing skewers.
- Add Worcestershire, soy, black pepper, cayenne pepper, hot sauce, and horseradish to bottom of cocktail shaker.
- Fill shaker with ice and add vodka, tomato juice, bacon syrup and juice of one lemon wedge.
- Shake well.
- Taste for seasoning and heat, and adjust as necessary.
- Shake celery salt onto a shallow dish.
- Rub edge of glass with lemon wedge.
- Coat wet edge with celery salt.
- Fill glass with ice.
- Pour in Bloody Mary Mix.
- Garnish with bacon skewers and other accoutrements of choice.