Step 1: Ingredients
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cane or regular sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 tablespoons applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup blueberries, frozen that have been thawed or I used fresh, rinse well
- 1/2 cup yogurt chips (optional, dark chocolate chips would probably taste great too)
- 2 tablespoons butter or a little coconut oil for a healthier option, melted
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar or regular
Takes a little over half an hour total, about 10 minutes prep time and 20-25 minutes to bake.
Step 2: Making the Mix
Step 3: Bake and Enjoy!
I found this recipe at www.food.com/recipe/blueberry-oat-bars-56820 but tweaked a few things about it. I added yogurt chips, cane sugar instead of regular, and brown sugar on top. If you want the nutritional information before these changes check out the website. I think this recipe serves as a great base to play around with. Please feel free to add your own ideas in the comments about how to tweak this recipe to have different healthy combinations that put store bought bars to shame. Dried fruit, chia seeds, nuts, protein powder, a tropical coconut blend, what kind of mixes can you think of?