The iRobot Roomba is a great platform for robotics. The Roomba has a serial interface that accepts commands for controlling and diagnostics. The EZ-B has hardware support for the Roomba, and the EZ-Builder software has controls for the Roomba also. In this instructable, I'm going to walk you through how to remote control your roomba from the computer over a bluetooth connection. Also, you may add sensors or a camera to the roomba to turn it into an even smarter autonomous robot.
In this instructable, I attach a wireless camera to the roomba. This allows the roomba to follow colors (Red, green, or blue) or motion.
Watch this video before following the next steps.
- Soldering Iron
- Wire Cutters
- Hot Glue Gun
- Zip Tie
- 1 x iRobot Roomba
- 1 x EZ-B Bluetooth Robot Controller http://www.ez-robot.com/Shop/View.aspx?id=1
- 1 x Wireless Webcam http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=2.4GHz+GFSK+RF+Mini+Wireless+PC+Webcam+Camera+Receiver+&_trksid=p5197.c0.m627
- 1 x PS/2 Mouse or Keyboard for cable
- 1 x Three wire servo cable
- 1 x Standard Servo
Step 1: Connection Cable
Only two wires are required to connect to the roomba from the EZ-B for minimal use. The two wire configuration will only transmit, not receive. But for most uses and in this example, it is the easiest.
- Take the PS2 connector apart
- Connect the two wires to the PS2 connector according to the attached image
- Reassemble the PS2 connector