The iRobot Roomba is a great platform for robotics. The Roomba has a serial interface that accepts commands for controlling and diagnostics. The EZ-B has hardware support for the Roomba, and the EZ-Builder software has controls for the Roomba also. In this instructable, I'm going to walk you through how to remote control your roomba from the computer over a bluetooth connection. Also, you may add sensors or a camera to the roomba to turn it into an even smarter autonomous robot.
In this instructable, I attach a wireless camera to the roomba. This allows the roomba to follow colors (Red, green, or blue) or motion.
Watch this video before following the next steps.
- Soldering Iron
- Wire Cutters
- Hot Glue Gun
- Zip Tie
- 1 x iRobot Roomba
- 1 x EZ-B Bluetooth Robot Controller http://www.ez-robot.com/Shop/View.aspx?id=1
- 1 x Wireless Webcam http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=2.4GHz+GFSK+RF+Mini+Wireless+PC+Webcam+Camera+Receiver+&_trksid=p5197.c0.m627
- 1 x PS/2 Mouse or Keyboard for cable
- 1 x Three wire servo cable
- 1 x Standard Servo
Step 1: Connection Cable
Only two wires are required to connect to the roomba from the EZ-B for minimal use. The two wire configuration will only transmit, not receive. But for most uses and in this example, it is the easiest.
- Take the PS2 connector apart
- Connect the two wires to the PS2 connector according to the attached image
- Reassemble the PS2 connector
Step 2: Attach Camera
The EZ-Builder has snapshot ability on a schedule, which will also work for security use.
Watch the video on the intro page of this instructable. It will demonstrate in further detail how the roomba is controlled by the EZ-Builder software. Also watching the work being done in by someone will help you out :)