Introduction: Blurred Lines Costume
There are many ways bring this music video to life. Some other costume ideas include:
- Couples Costume: Robin Thicke + Model
- 6 Person Group Costume: The whole cast of the video
- Mens Group: all the men from the video
Link to music video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyDUC1LUXSU
Step 1: Plastic Outfit Materials
(note: this is the amount of material needed to make all 3 costumes)
- 3 yards of 12 gauge clear vinyl fabric - you can find this at most fabric stores. It usually comes in rolls and is used for covering tables.
- 1/2 yard of twill tape + 5 large safety pins (only needed for 1 of the costumes - see next step)
- 1 long white zipper with metal teeth (only needed for 1 of the costumes - see next step)
- hand sewing needle
- white sewing thread
- printer + printer paper for printing patterns
Step 2: Inspiration
I probably watched this music video 15 times to get a good feel for the costumes. I took lots of screen captures to understand how the plastic costumes come together.
You don't need to stress about following the costumes 100%. A loose interpretation of the outfits will still make great costumes.
Step 3: Styling Each Girl
- White Bra - this was bought at Macy's for around $34, but any white bra will do
- White Cutoff Shorts - bought here.
- Plastic Element: halter top with safety pin closure in back.
Girl 2: White Corset + Bikini Bottoms
- White Corset - bought here.
- White Bikini Bottoms - bought at Macy's, but can be found in lots of stores.
- Plastic Element: mini dress with 1" thick straps
Girl 3: White Long-Sleeve Crop Top + High Waisted Panties
- White Long Sleeve Crop Top - bought here.
- White High Waisted Panties - bought at Macy's, but can be found in lots of stores.
- Plastic Element: hot pants with front white zipper with metal teeth.
Step 4: Pattern Files
- Print out each .pdf file for the article of clothing you wish to make.
- Cut along the red box on each piece of paper
- Tape the pieces of paper together by matching up the letters. You should see the pattern form.
- Cut out the pattern by cutting along the black line.
- Check to see if this looks like appropriate pattern.
Step 5: Sewing Vinyl Fabric
Use the a BASIC RUNNING STITCH for all seams. Below is more detailed sewing instructions for each pattern. Since the fabric is the same on the front and back you don't need to worry about what side of the fabric you cut the pattern out of.
- Cut out two shorts pattern pieces in the vinyl fabric. Each pattern piece comprises one leg of the shorts.
- Sew the zipper into the front seam. Don't worry about properly sewing in the zipper - I just laid the zipper on top of what would be the front seam and sewed one side of the zipper to one patter piece and the other side of the zipper to the other pattern piece.
- Sew the back seam (seam that will run along your butt crack).
- Sew the leg holes
- Turn the project inside out and the seams should be on the inside of the shorts.
- Cut out two dress pattern pieces in the vinyl fabric.
- Place pieces on top of each other and sew up the left and right sides of the dress.
- Sew the tops of the straps together.
- Cut one 'halter top front' pattern pieces. Cut two 'halter top back' pattern pieces.
- Sew the two straps on the 'halter top front' pattern piece together to create a halter top
- Sew one of the 'halter top back pieces to the left side of the halter and one to the right. To see how this looks look at the screen shots.
- Glue the twill tape to the other ends of the halter back (see picture). Use safety pins to close the back of the halter. The twill tape will reinforce the vinyl fabric.