Bombay Halwa is a very famous sweet dish in India especially Bombay (Mumbai now). As a child, this was my favourite. I can say, its kinda like gummy chocolates i.e., chewy. Its made of corn flour, sugar and clarified butter. Its so easy to make and super tasty. For this rainbow contest, I tried to include a few food colors with the hope it would come out really rainbowy colorful but it didn't really come up exactly like I imagined but still looks good on its own.
Do try it and I am sure you are going to love it. Thank you for reading my instructable.
Step 1: Ingredients and Preparation Steps
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Corn flour - 1/4 Cup
- Water - 125ml
- Ghee/clarified butter - 1/2 cup
- Cardamom Powder - 1 tbsp
- Cashews - 1/2 cup
- Prepare sugar solution by mixing sugar and water. Bring it to a boil and turn off the stove.
- Mix cornflour and water just enough to make a smooth paste.
- Turn on the stove and keep mixing till it starts to form lumpy. Turn off the stove.
- Pour the hot sugar solution slowly little by little and keep mixing.
- Turn on the stove, start pouring the ghee/clarified butter and keep mixing till it forms a smooth silky thick mixture.
- Add the cashews and food color of your choice. I added blue, green, red, orange and yellow food color.
- Transfer the mix to another vessel. Flatten it with a spatula and let it set for atleast 30mins. Cut it into smaller pieces and serve and enjoy.
The Rainbow Bombay Halwa is ready! Enjoy!