Halloween calls for a bloody delicious three-course dinner by candle light. What better than to start the dinner with a bony carpaccio made with Halloweens favorite ingredient, pumpkin. A cooled thin piece of pumpkin served with some spooky and/or other Halloweenish toppings. Enjoy. And don't forget to vote if you like it.
Step 1: Ingredients
- Pumpkin - Both the pumpkin meat and the seeds
- Red onion
- Tabasco - Chipotle Sauce
- Balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil
Step 2: Prepare the Carpaccio
• Remove the seeds from you pumpkin and don't throw them away. We will use them later when we make our plate taste and look great.
• Cut a rectangular piece from the pumpkin about 4 to 5 cm wide. The longer the piece, the more beautiful the dish can look.
• Cut the rectangular piece into very thin slices. I used a cheesecutter since I'm Dutch, but a good knife can do the same. My slices were between 2 and 3 mm thick.
• Place the pumpkin in an oven tray on some baking paper and cover them in olive oil and the chipotle sauce. Add the chipotle sauce to your own liking.
• Put the pumpkin in the oven for about 15 min. in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees Celcius.
• When the pumpkin is ready let it cool down. I placed mine in the fridge since I prepared these in the morning. The carpaccio is served cold.
Step 3: Finish the Dish
- Roast some pumpkin seeds in a frying pan until they are finished. Don't go crazy on the spices, the dish will have enough taste due to the balsamic vinegar, red onion and chipotle sauce. I only used salt which goes great with the feta.
- Cut your feta cheese into bone looking things. Also make some feta crumble to go on the plate.
- Cut the red onions in very small pieces. I made one mistake with my dish. The red onion was too sharp(at least that's how we call it in Dutch) of taste. So I suggest to saute the onions a little to soften it's taste.
- Place the pumpkin carpaccio on a plate and add the feta bones and crumbles together with some pumpkin seeds and red onion on top.
- A little balsamic vinegar goes a long way and really makes this dish. Again add chipotle sauce to your liking and finish with a little bit of olive oil.