Step 1: Assembly
1) 2 - hollow decorative boxes (books) from Michaels craft store. The boxes are made of sturdy paper/cardboard and nicely decorated inside and out. These being hollow makes the wiring easier and the top box can be used to store small things.
2) Small table lamp
2 Boxes - $16 - $20
Lamp - Under $20
Switch - $4
Misc extras - $2
Step 2: Wiring
1) Glued the smaller book onto the larger book and used black tie-wrap to hold together.
2) Drilled holes in the larger book for the lamp post, the switch, and the cord.
3) Cut the cord for the lamp and wired in the black switch. Will monitor the heat from the switch since it is in contact with the book.
4) The large metal base is seen connected to the lamp post. I used 2nd tie-wrap through the base and into the books for stability.
5) Glued the black weight from the lamp into the bottom book for more stability.
Personally, I would not store anything in the bottom book because of the wiring.