Introduction: Book Speaker
I will teach you how to turn a regular, hard-cover book into your very own speaker!
You will need:
- a small, hardcover book
- large, neodymium magnets (about 1/2 inch diameter http://www.amazon.com/3-Count-CMS-Magnetics%C2%AE-Neodymium-Permanent/dp/B000UCVARK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_328_29?ie=UTF8&dpID=41qnamCHvxL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=12KG44NZDJFQCCBNRK5D)
- very thin, coated wire (make sure that it is conductive)
- double-ended alligator clips (http://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Color-Double-ended-Alligator-Jumper/dp/B00D10KWE0/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1451132993&sr=1-2&keywords=jumper+wires+with+clips)
- inexpensive headphones
- electrical tape
- copper tape (find it here: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1128)
- jumper wire (optional)
- soldering iron (optional)
- solder (optional)
Step 1: Step 1
first, tape the end of the coated wire to the back cover of the book, just underneath the top. Then, wrap the wire vertically around the book, making sure that each wrapping is directly next to the last and it doesn’t overlap (if it does a little bit, that’s okay).
Step 2: Step 2
Once the wrapped wire is about half an inch wide or so, put some electrical tape over all of the wires on the top and bottom of the back cover of the book.
Step 3: Step 3
Next, sand the wires directly inside of the two pieces of tape on the top and bottom of the back cover of the book. Do a good job sanding as the current will need to flow through here.
Step 4: Step 4
Add pieces of copper tape over the 2 sanded portion of the wires and clip the two alligator clips to the copper tape. If you have a soldering iron and solder available, I’d suggest soldering these connections.
Step 5: Step 5
Cut all of the wires along the BACK side of the book between the two parts that had copper tape. Make sure that the two pieces of electrical tape holding all of the wires to the book are very secure before cutting!
Step 6: Step 6
Put the magnet in the page below the wire
Step 7: Step 7
Take the headphones and cut the earpieces from them. Just to be clear, we want to use the end with the plug.
Step 8: Step 8
Then cut the ends of them with a wire stripper and sand the wires. make sure you do a pretty good job sanding as this will be how the current runs through. You can also solder these wires to pieces of jumper wire if you have a soldering iron available. This makes the connections are a little stronger and is highly recommended.
Step 9: Step 9
Clip the other side of both alligator clips to each of the two headphone wires.
Step 10: Step 10
Plug the headphones jack into the computer and play your favorite song and VOILA!!! If the speaker isn’t working, you may need to adjust different aspects of it, like the size of the amount of wire being used or the strength of the magnets.