Introduction: Bookends From Reclaimed Brake Parts
I fabricate functional art for homes and businesses. I document some of my builds on instagram and Youtube. Radcliffe_Herstellung Check out my build video and if you like what you see subscribe to my channel so you dont miss out of future builds
Start with a reclaimed rotor, in this case I used one off of a Ford GT Super Car, but you can use what you can find. I disassembled it and got it ready for media blasting.
Media blasting with glass beads to remove rust
I painted the rotor aluminum with an engine enamel.
Took the rotor to a automotive shop and used a brake lathe to machine it back to a "like new" look.
I taped the rotor off to prevent it from rusting
I found the circumference and divided the rotor into quarters
I took the rotor to the chop saw and cut out the quarters
Then I measured the caliper and made a line in the middle of it. Took it to the chop saw and cut it in half
Used the table saw to make the cuts for the base. First I cut each piece to size. Then I made a 45 degree cut on one side of each piece
I used tape to align and clamp the bases for glue up. I used standard wood glue to create the bond
I used an airbrush and red paint to touchup any blemishes on the calipers
Coated the calipers and rotor quarters with a satin clear
I used tape to outline the exact location I wanted the brakes to sit on the bases
Using 80 grit sand paper I etched the surfaces before bonding them
I used a 2 part panel bond epoxy to bond the bases with the brakes
Step 16: Finished Product
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.