Background: This really cool game is just a little too fast for my 3 year old kid. If it were only a bit slower, it would be playable for the little bugger. So I modded it and now the game has the ability to have its speed set from reeeaaalllly sllllooowww to frickin' fast. A switch selects between default and custom speed. The custom speed is selectable with a potentiometer.
WARNING: You might break the game if you try this mod. Only do this if you are quite sure that you are capable of handling springs and wires jumping all over the place. If you doubt your own technical prowess, then you might be better off not screwing around. Stuff will shoot off in every direction if you're not careful, and even then. Pay attention and work slowly.
- 1x small 1Mohm potmeter
- 1x make-break-make sliding switch
- 1 meter of wire (I used wire salvaged from an old CAT5 ethernet cable)
- philips screwdriver
- soldering iron
- 3mm drill bit (for metal is good, for wood is better)
- hot glue gun (or epoxy, if you don't have a glue gun)
- fine sandpaper
- cleaning agent (alcohol, ammonia, or something similar)
- Take note of which side has the big yellow button and which has the big green button.
- Remove the 8 screws on the front of the game
- Remove the 4 screws on the bottom. NOTE: One of the screws is longer than the rest. Make note of it.
- Carefully seperate the two parts containing the speaker and the batteries. NOTE: The big buttons will pop of and the two springs on each button will too. Catch everything before you loose it.
- Carefully remove the front and back halves. NOTE: Take special care with the 'twist it' knob, as it will jump apart when so much as looking at it. Also take a good look at how it should look when properly assembled, because sooner or later it *will* pop apart.