Step 1: Step 1. Gather Materials
- Cotton String
- Bottle Cap
- Hot Pad (Kitchen Rag)
- Tin Can
- Lighter (Only To Light The Candle)
- Stove Top
Step 2: Step 2: Create a Hole in the Bottle Cap
Warning: Be sure not to cut yourself with the knife. If you are unsure if you should do this, get an adult.
Note: The hole only needs to be big enough for the cotton string to pass through.
Safer Alternative: A safer alternative would be to use a hammer and a nail to create the hole.
Step 3: Step 3: Create Wick
2. Tie an overhand knot
Note: Be sure to tie the knot near an end of the string.
3. Thread the string through the hole
Note: Make sure the knot is on the bottom of the cap as shown below.
Step 4: Step 4. Melt Crayons
2. Set burner near the simmer setting
Caution: Be sure that the can is stable so that it doesn't tip over.
Note: To create colorful swirls, use contrasting colors of crayons and gently swirl the can as they are melting.
Step 5: Step 5. Pour Wax
2. Slowly pour the wax into the bottle caps
- Be sure that the wick is upright.
- Don't worry if wax gets near the top the wick, it will be fine.
- Be careful not to overfill. Depending on the surface you're pouring on, the wax may be difficult to remove.
You now have turned some ordinary household materials into some unique, decorative candles. There are few materials used and can be done quickly and as often as you wish. As you can see, this process is easy and fun to complete, just be safe when creating the hole in the bottle cap.