I am sure many of your must have heard of a very popular Indian desert known as गाजर का हलवा (Gajar ka Halwa) or Carrot Pudding. As dear as gajar ka halwa, लौकी का हलवा (Lauki ka Halwa) or Bottle Gourd Pudding also holds a delicious reputation in Indian Cuisine, with few cooking advantages over Gajar ka Halwa.
- Bottle Gourd is available all year round.
- It's easy to prepare for.
- It's fast to cook.
- It's easy to cook.
As I write this iBle all my senses are under control of the awesome taste of this desert I had yesterday (yes indeed), so please pardon my favoritism for this Halwa.
Sounds mouth watering?? Lets jump into the kitchen. This is my Mom's recipe and I hope you will love it.
Cooking Time: 20-30 Minutes
Preparation: 10 minutes
Servings: 2 (May be one if you cant resist it ;-))
Step 1: Ingredients and Kitchen Tools
- A tender Bottle Gourd : 1/2 Kg
- Toned Milk about 1/2 liter. (Whole milk or toned, its your choice)
- Cardamom : 5-6
- Some Cashews
- Some Almonds
- Ghee or unsalted butter about 1/4 cup
- Sugar about 1/3 cup. I recommend adding it a little more or less as per your taste.
- Lots of love.
You will need these utensils
- 1 Deep frying not stick pan.
- A Spatula.
- Cook top or stove.
- Some device electric or hand for grating Bottle Gourd
Step 2: Preparation and Cooking
- Lightly peel the skin of Bottle Gourd and grate it. The texture should be neither too fine or too bold. (See Image 1).
- Peel off cardamom, crush it to make powder (Does not need to be fine)
- Heat ghee in the pan (Image 2).
- Add grated bottle gourd in ghee (Image 3) and cook for 5-7 minutes on high heat stirring continuously or till the access moisture is removed. (Image 4)
- Adjust the heat to medium and add milk (Image 5).
- Mix the mixture well.
- Add cardamom powder (Image 6).
- Cook it for 10 minutes stirring occasionally (Image 7).
- Milk will solidify and the mixture will look like Image 8.
- Now add sugar and again cook for 10 minutes. The mixture should look like Image 9
Serve it hot..
- You can add almonds, Cashews or pistachio while cooking too.
- You can refrigerate it for 1-2 weeks and enjoy it more and more.
Hope you like this iBle. Thanks for stopping by and please share your feedback in comments below.