Step 1: Getting the materials and tools
Materials you will need:
- A couple of plastic bowls
- A cushion (or a small pillow)
- Ty Wrap
- Masking tape
- CD marker pen
Tools you will need:
- Dremel (or similar)
- Routing bit - small (1/8" or close)
- Routing bit - medium (1/4" or close)
- Sandpaper barrel bit
Step 2: Joining the bowls
- Use the CD marker to draw a cross at the center of each handle. If your bowl doesn't have handles, please be creative!
- Use the Dremel with the small routing bit to drill a hole at each mark. You can also use a standard drill with a drill bit (yeap, it makes more sense to use a drilling bit to drill, but... nevermind.. just do the holes)
- Squeeze a ty-wrap at each hole (ok, wrap it!). Do it before start to drill the other holes to avoid disalignments.
- Wrap a metrick tape around the upper bowl to measure the lenght between the two holes.
- Divide the measurement by 3 and place a cross at that lenght away from each ty-wrap. In my case the distance was roughly 24 inches, and I have placed 4 marks, each was 8 inches apart of each ty-wrap (at the left and at the right).
- Drill a hole at each mark and put a ty-wrap at each hole to firmly hold the bowls together..
Step 3: Marking the door
- fold the paper in order to have a shape that is a half of the door shape.
- Hold the paper shape toward the upper bowl and use the CD marker to countour it. Do the same for the bottom bowl (it's a good idea to turn it upside down for doing the bottom).
Step 4: Making the door
- After cut all the door out, use the sand paber bit to smooth the edge of the door. Also do it slowly and carefully.
Step 5: Finishing
- Place your pet just in front of its new house. If he enters it faster than you can get the camera, you're done!
- IMPORTANT!! Don't ask your pet's opinion about improvements!!!