Step 4: The Head

Picture of The Head
mask 004.JPG
mask 005.JPG
mask 006.JPG
mask 009.JPG
bowser bowser 002.JPG
golduck 001 001.JPG
bowser bowser 003 (2).JPG
bowser bowser 005 (2).JPG
bowser neck 007.JPG
bowser bowser 002 (2).JPG
bowser neck 006.JPG
bowser neck 008.JPG
bowser bo 001.JPG
bowser bo 002.JPG
bowser bowser 019 (2).JPG
bowser bowser 021 (2).JPG
bowser neck 002.JPG
bowser neck 004.JPG
bowser bowser 022.JPG
bowser 002 (2).JPG
bowser 003 (2).JPG
bowser bowser 005.JPG
bowser bowser 007 (2).JPG
bowser bowser 003.JPG
bowser 009 (2).JPG
bowser 008.JPG
bowser bowser 008.JPG
bowser bowser 009 (2).JPG
bowser bowser 010 (2).JPG
bowser bowser 006.JPG
bowser bowser 004 (2).JPG
bowser bowser 007.JPG
bowser bowser 009.JPG
bowser bowser 010.JPG
bowser 001 (2).JPG
bowser 002.JPG
bowser 003.JPG
bowser 009.JPG
bowser 004.JPG
bowser 011.JPG
bowser 014.JPG
bowser 012.JPG
bowser 015.JPG
bowser 017.JPG
bowser cheek check 015.JPG
bowser cheek check 016.JPG
bowser cheek check 017.JPG
bowser cheek check 018.JPG
bowser cheek check 020.JPG
bowser horns 005.JPG
bowser 001.JPG
bowser horns 003.JPG
bowser horns 006.JPG
bowser jaw movments and friends 009.JPG
bowser jaw movments and friends 010.JPG
bowser pictures 004.JPG
bowser horns 001.JPG
bowser eye 001.JPG
bowser eye 002.JPG
bowser eye 006.JPG
bowser eye 007.JPG
bowser eye 008.JPG
bowser eyex  008.jpg
bowser jaw movments and friends 003.JPG
bowser jaw movments and friends 005.JPG
bowser jaw movments and friends 007.JPG
bowser jaw movments and friends 008.JPG
bowser jaw movments and friends 011.JPG
bowser pictures 005.JPG
bowser jaw movments and friends 012.JPG
bowser jaw movments and friends 013.JPG
bowser plush and scarf 003.JPG
bowser plush and scarf 004.JPG
bowser jaw movments and friends 014.JPG
dinosaurs 001.JPG
bowser jaw movments and friends 015.JPG
bowser jaw movments and friends 016.JPG
bowser jaw movments and friends 017.JPG
bowser jaw movments and friends 018.JPG
bowser pictures 006.JPG
bowser pictures 007.JPG
bowser pictures 008.JPG
bowser pictures 009.JPG
bowser pictures 011.JPG
bowser pictures 013.JPG
mullet 002.JPG
mullet 004.JPG
more bowser 001.JPG
bowser head 001.JPG
bowser head 003.JPG
bowser head 005.JPG
bowser head 007.JPG
more bowser 003.JPG
more bowser 004.JPG
more bowser 005.JPG
more bowser 007.JPG
Like most mascot-like costumes the head is the most important and also the most difficult. I’ll try my best to mention most that when on during the process of making it.

I wanted to make it as a Balaklava foam technique. And started with the frame of the eyes. I wanted to make the eyes deep so they could have a ‘follow-me affect”


I wrapped and glued this frame piece to the Baklava so I’d have room for my face. And from there added eyebrows and cheeks and the begging of the muzzle. Bowser’s muzzle is a continuous line of circular shapes. I must admit it was not easy to replicate. I do spend a lot of time cutting shaping, sculpting , gluing back on pieces. To make it look right to my own satisfactory. And it does look like a mess but the outcome is worth it.


At first I wanted a semi-realistic approach and wanted to add ‘hair’ or ‘fur’ for his hair on top and eyebrows but it turned out looking rather ridicules.  


The eyes where made at a early stage of sculpting the head. They’re mad from a easy cast clear casting resin kit. With acrylic paint to color. They where placed and removed multiple times while making the mask.

The white of the eyes is sheer white fabric.


I added the jaw at a time thought of having a hinge to make it ‘move’ but alas it did not work with what I had and decided to have his mouth partially open as many of his picture depict him acting. The jaw was re-adjusted many times.


The first pair of eyebrows where replaced with bigger and more well shaped ones.


I used a drape technique to skin the mask. And most of it is hand sewn.

Most of the fabric is fleece.

The lining of the mouth is a left-over scrap fabric, with Sheer Black for the back of the mouth.  This is where I mainly saw for my vision, and had for ventilation.  


The teeth are made out of white Crayola model magic foam clay.

I learned form this mask a valuable trick, do the inside of the mouth first before skinning anything else.


The hood is quite small due to being tucked and hidden by the collar.


The hair on top was one of the last things to finish. Made into sections of curved ‘triangular’ pieces. Much like a plush and stuffed with polyfil.


The nostrils are painted on with black fabric paint.

A latter addition to the head was installing a small battery powered computer fan for instant AC. This was tricky to put in, so I’d highly recommend putting the fan inside a mask before skinning it.


Remove these adsRemove these ads by Signing Up