This is a delicious meal for the whole family!
Doughie cakes are savory pancakes made from the remaining stuff from the tilapia. They began as simply a way to use the extra flour mixture by frying the mixture and water, and have evolved over the years into something really super yummy!
If you have children, they will love this meal. It was one of my favorites when I was a kid, and my sister and I invented the name of the doughie cakes.
Step 1: Ingredients
1. Tilapia filets (1 per person)
2. All purpose flour
3. Herbs for fish: my mix of herbs contains basil, onion, garlic, chervil, parsley, and Lemon pepper ( white pepper and lemon oil)
1. Leftover flour mix used for the fish ( and extra if you want more doughie cakes )
3. 1 egg
4. Baking powder
Step 2: Make the Fish!
2. Take the tilapia and cover it in the flour mixture. Use a spoon/ fork to help you completely cover the filet.
3. Place fish in the frying pan.
4. Fry on high heat until one side is golden brown in color.
5. Flip and fry the other side until golden brown.
6. Place fish on plate or in lower oven to keep warm while cooking doughie cakes.
7. Don't wash the pan yet! You will need the same pan to cook the doughie cakes.
Step 3: Make Doughie Cakes!
2. If you want more doughie cakes, make more flower mixture and add it to the remaining.
3. Add baking powder to the flower mix. I put a heaping spoonful in, but you will want less than that or your cakes will be very very poofy.
4. together wet and dry solutions into a batter.
5. In the same frying pan that you used for the fish, cook the batter like pancakes. You will get awesome flavor from putting them in the same pan as the fish.
6. Cook until one side is golden brown.
7. Flip and fry the other side.
8. Put them on a plate for eating!
*Note: experimentation is key in this recipe. They turn out a little different every time, but are always amazing!
Step 4: Serve and Enjoy!!
Doughie cakes can end up differently every time but they are always super delicious, and breaded Tilapia is awesome!
If you guys want me to, I will test out measurements for the ingredients next time and update you on them.