Hey eveyone, I like to hunt deer and was taught as a kid to harvest what meat you can and then leave the recent for scavenger animals. But recently I've been doing recearch into maximizing the usage of the deer. And here is one of the little things that have came out of it so far.
The Buckskin Wallet - Buckskin is hide off of an animal that has it's natual fiber connections replaced with emulsified oils. This can be done by soaking the clean hide in a variety of thing ranging from brains, eggs, soap, different types of plants, oils, etc. etc. I have already completed the bucking process and now have some material to work with. So lets make a wallet!
Disclaimer - I got alot of help from the leather wallet tutorial also listed on this site. I decided to go with the tri-fold style wallet were there's is a bi-fold. If you are seriously thinking of making this. I would check out this other tutorial too. http://www.instructables.com/id/Leather-Wallet/
Step 1: Materials
Here is a list of materials and tools you will need:
- Buckskin (or other type of material)
- Thread ( think tough thread)
- Clear Plastic (steal from some packaging)
- Sharp cutting tool (knife, exacto knife, etc.)
- Speed Stitcher or sewing needles, or sewing machine
- Square and straight edge of some sort (really wide books work great!)