This is another example of an outdoor survival kit for those times when you need to evacuate in a hurry or you need some emergency supplies in your house. These kits are usually called Bug-Out Bags and there are already several good INSTRUCTABLES on the subject. This variant is housed in a 60 litre food grade barrel and is designed to keep my family of four alive for a little while (depending on the conditions: outside temperature, availability of water ect.). As is often the case, once I start writing the instructable, I find out that someone (Mike) has already invented this (nice article too!).
The accompanying bike trailer/dolly was purpose built for this barrel, although I've bought a second barrel to lug beer to the beach, or fire wood to the camp-site. You can see how I made the trailer here.
The barrel format provides a several advantages:
- Water and air proof to keep any number of malicious elements out and preserve the contents until you need them. It is also handy for crossing or travelling down waterways.
- Rigid construction that allows for many uses as a separate item (chair, roller, support, water container, animal resistant container...).
- Can be dragged over snow.
- Relatively inconspicuous (in your garage, or back of your car).
- You can purchase a harness which transforms the barrel into a surprisingly comfortable backpack.
Step 1: Assemble the Kit
I was not able to fit everything, so I was faced with some important survival questions: water or sleeping bag? Watch the video to see what I chose...
- 2-4 sleeping bags (depends how cosy you are with your fellow survivors)
- A tent (I got a super cheap one from Canadian Tire)
- 100' paracord
- Fires making tools (lighters, firepaste, sparker)
- Water filtration (life straw) (strain out particles of feces and associated nasties)
- Water purification tablets (kill the bacteria and viruses)
- Collapsible Water container
- Compact fishing rod and tackle
- Flash light, radio, USB charger combo
- First Aid Kit
- Potassium Iodide
- Dehydrated Food (has a shelf life so switch out every few years)
- Water (has a shelf life so switch out every few years)
- Mess kit
- Pots and pans
- 4 toques