This Instructable will show you how to build your own Crokinole game board. Crokinole is a dexterity game which originated in Canada in the 1870's and has gained a large enough following that there has been a World Crokinole Championship in Tavistock, Ontario Canada every year since 1999.
The rules are fairly simple. You score points by flicking your discs toward the center hole on the board while simultaneously attempting to knock your opponents discs off the board. If your disc lands in the hole it's worth 20 points which you can't lose (that disc is removed from the board.) The inner ring is worth 15, middle 10, and outer ring 5. A disc touching a ring rounds downward. Zero value discs are removed from the board. A very important rule is that you MUST hit an opposing disc if there is one on the board. This leads to interesting game play involving bounce shots and attempts to clear multiple opposing discs.
To get a quick feel for the game watch this video of an expert demonstrating his skills. (Normally he would be alternating turns with an opponent who would be shootings discs back his way.)
Step 1: Materials
The materials for this project are pretty common and should be readily available.
- one 26" x 26" sheet of 1/2 inch finished grade plywood, for deck
- one 32" x 32" sheet of 1/2 inch plywood, can be a lesser grade for the bottom
- 106" of 3/4" x 1" wood for the rails
- 3/16" dowel rod, about 8" long (cut into 8 - 3/4 " pieces) for the pegs
- 1/4" vinyl tubing, about 4" long (cut into 8 - 1/2" pieces) for the pegs
- wood glue
- carnuba wax