Anyway, since I got the T.V. I've been experimenting with different ways to get signal. At first I was tempted to try to run a cable wire up from the basement at my house. My parents ruled that out. Then I tried using a paper clip in the antenna in spot on the T.V. That gave too weak of a signal.
That led me to build what my dad has dubbed the "Cantenna." It's all from materials that I got in my recycling bin or took from old projects. If I can find this stuff, you can too.
This is great because now I have free and easy T.V. that I pay absolutely nothing for (except electricity).
NOTE: I'd like to apologize. Image notes aren't working for some reason. If you're having trouble with anything, just leave a comment.
Step 1: Deciding on an Antenna
Seriously. This step will probably bore most people away from the project. If you aren't interested, just skip it!
When the paper clip wasn't working as an antenna for my T.V., I seriously was thinking about going out and buying a real antenna. Then I decided I would really try hard to be green. So I hit the interwebs and started googling. I found out that one of the best types of antenna for my purpose would be a "Dipole antenna." According to wikipedia (here), "These antennas are the simplest practical antennas from a theoretical point of view." Simple is always good. I won't get into all of the details here because that's what wikipedia is for.
So, I did some more googling and discovered that I could skip all of the calculations on wikipedia, and basically just hang up two halves of the same can.
Well, if you survived that you can continue to the next step now.
*Note: Image taken from wikipedia and used under Fair Use (It has a GNU free documentation license so I think that's okay).