Build an effective, durable cot for your dog for around $10
Step 1: Materials and Supplies
· PVC pipe 1-inch (inside diameter determines the size) schedule 40 (thick wall). Can be purchased at Home Depot for about $2.48 for a 10-foot stick.
· Three way corner pieces (1 inch) item # F100W3W. Can be purchased at C & S Plastics 1550 5th. Street SW, Winter Haven, Florida 33880. Phone number 863-299-6639. Cost about .99 cents each if purchasing 240 count. This is a furniture grade specialty item that cannot be found at many places.
· Open weave plastic mesh marine upholstery fabric (similar to Phifertex) is the best choice to use. Awning fabric (similar to Sunbrella) can also be used, but it is not as easy to disinfect or dry. If only doing a few beds ask your local boating upholstery shops for scrap pieces. If needing fabric in bulk search the Internet for best prices.
· Buildex Teks Lath Screws #8 X 1/2" can be purchased at Home Depot for about $5.49 a box with 260 count. If needing screws in bulk contact Fastenal located at 295 Lewis Street, Fort Walton Beach, Florida or call at 850-302-0285 can be purchased for about $1.53 per 100 count. Ask for part number 32142.
- Cordless drill with variable clutch settings
- Screwdriver Bit
- Screwdriver Magnetizer (optional but very helpful if doing this alone)
- Rubber mallet
- Ratchet type PVC cutters
- Safety Glasses
- Tailor's chalk for marking fabric
- Fine Tip Sharpie for marking PVC
- Heavy Duty Scissors
- Stiff ruler