Step 3: Umbrella
Boom microphone stand
Clear packing tape
Black electrical tape
White tissue paper
3 million candle power rechargeable spotlight ($20-$35)
1. Trace the pie shape pieces of the cover and cut a foil template. Use the template to make (8) reflector sheets. White glue tissue paper to each of these wedge slices.
2. White glue the wedges to the open umbrella. Trim excess.
3. Build a 60 degree cone of foil and place it around the tube between the stretchers and the top cap of the umbrella.
4. Anticipating the weight of the spotlight, mount the umbrella through the microphone stand with plenty of packing tape for strength and a little electrical tape for colour.
5. Install the spotlight at the end of the umbrella. Use packing tape to secure the light on the top side of the umbrella tube with the spotlight facing towards the foil cone. Remember to keep the trigger accessible and that tape acts as heat insulator; too much around the body of the spotlight will cause it to overheat.
This Umbrella becomes an incredible tool for fill flash. Spotlights will have a warmer colour then the natural lights so using this setup is an easy way to warm up your photos.