Since this is my first Instructable and the first 3D printed prototype I have ever made I have tried to explain in as much detail as possible what I have done and have tried to provide as many pictures as I could. If you have any questions please ask and I will try to answer them ASAP.
Warnings and Legalities: modifying a router as I have done will VOID the factory warranty. There is a possibility that if not done correctly you could BRICK your router. It is up to the user of this Instructable to check all state and federal laws before using high gain antennas or boosting output power.
With that out of the way I am going to show you how I:
- came up with my project requirements
- reverse engineered an existing product to acquire needed dimensions
- sourced hardware and software
- designed a new case to incorporate new product requirements
- rapid prototyped an ABS plastic case
- prepped and finished plastic parts
- overcame unexpected delays
Due to the complexity and length of instructions I will be covering the following in an additional Instructable:
- wiring of electronics
- heatsinks and thermal adhesive
- antenna selection
- power supply upgrade
- installing third party software
- designing a breakout board
- micro controllers and integrated circuits
- diagnostics and trouble shooting
This is what I was able to accomplish in three weeks!