Introduction: Build a Simple Greenhouse
Easy - Functional - Affordable - And it WORKS!
This tent-like greenhouse will literally take you 5 minutes to build and will only cost about $10 bucks. See more of my projects and videos at www.pondplantgirl.com
Step 1: What You'll Need
The Simple PVC Greenhouse
This is made with: A plastic tarp, Two ten foot long 2' pvc pipe, and 4 water cones. You might also need clamps or ties to hold the plastic from blowing in the wind.
The water cone is found at Harbor Freight and Tools online and makes a great anchor for the Super Simple Greenhouse. The cost for a set of 6 cones is only $2.99.
Step 2: Here Is the Frame
Here is the frame. I would actually suggest 3 pvc pipes instead of 2, but two pipes will work just fine too.
The building is really easy.
1. Simply push the cone into the ground
2. Stick one end of the 10' pvc pipe into the cone and bend it over your pond or growing area.
3. Stick the other end of the pipe into the cone on the other side of the growing area.
4. Repeat for the cross piece.
5. Drape a large clear plastic tarp (clear 4 mil) over the top. A sheet of 10x10 tarp is fine. For more secure coverage larger would work out better.
6. Attach the tarp to the pvc with clips or zip ties.
7. Anchor the tarp down at the bottom with a heavy object or attach to the base of your pvc near each cone.
oneThe only trick is to push it into the ground at an angle so the pvc pipe will not pop out.
I had my first frost test and this tent-like greenhouse worked great! Winter ponds should look shaggy like the one in the picture. So don't worry if yours looks like this too. Once the weather warms up your plants will be back and growing great!
The total cost is under $10 bucks! This will certainly keep the frost off your valued plants. But if the temps drop below freezing, you will need to bring your more sensitive plants indoors.
See more projects and videos at www.pondplantgirl.com