Introduction: Build a Better Vista for Free.
Many people reported serious problems by updating there existing Windows XP (TM) machines to Vista (TM).
Even on brand new machines. See for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVbf9tOGwno
So many people planed to switch to Mac OS/X but still need WinXP up and running on there existing machine. See http://www.apple.com/switch
One solution is to have in the mean time the same Look & Feel for your XP.
Check the two screen shots. Before and after.
- Is Vista a copy of Mac? Check this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ28p-J40d0
- Mac OS X being used over Vista description http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTeP_eh8XAA
- See also this: "User Interface Design (Alan Kay Video - Part II)" on http://webcast.berkeley.edu/course_details.php?seriesid=1906978389 (Why not only the user inferface is, what counts. It's also on what the GUI is built on. See at 40:00 for the conclusion.)
Step 1: Just Do It.
Everything you need is described in detail here: http://osx.portraitofakite.com/
Download the Package. There is only one installation file you need.
The installation is very easy.
- You can choose what to to. Optional create a restore point.
- What features you what to need.
During the installation, It will change different files from your XP system.
Here, I select all options, so this will change my XP in a Mac OS/X Look&Feel as much as possible. - Also the login screen will be changed.
NOTE: It will need less then 300MB!
Step 2: Reboot.
After reboot, you will not know your Windows system anymore.
But note: It's still Windows ;-)
You will also notice that the Look&Feel; will change during the installation. The start menu bar will go to the top of the screen and also some action sounds will be changed to the Mac sounds.
Step 3: Problems With the Dashboard?
C:\Program Files\Tiger System Preferences v2\Skins\gif
find the file "skin.ini".
Open it. The Dashboard section should look like: (There was no path given to Path=, so enter the correct path and filename to "RKLauncher.exe" witch is the Dashboard.)
...[DashBoard]NormalImage=dashboard.gifDownImage=dashboard_d.gifPath=C:\Program Files\RK Launcher\RKLauncher.exeLabel=Dashboard && Expose...