Darkmatter is the world's first Open Source Xbox 360* Laptop - its a hardware kit designed to make your Xbox console portable, so that you can play your favorite games any time, any place! 1080p HD screen, capacitive touch controls and all. We successfully crowdfunded Darkmatter via Kickstarter in June 2013, and in this instructable we're going to show you how to make your own.
(* The design provided here is currently compatible with the Xbox 360 S Slim and Xbox 360 E consoles)
First, the supplies. Note that procuring each part & supply can be costly in time, money and energy. If you wish to skip the trouble and just want a ready-to-play Darkmatter then you can order one online on our estore. We also sell a kit version that contains all the major supplies & parts for you to get started with this instructable right away.
The major supplies are:
- an Xbox 360 Slim console, of course
- 1080p HD display panel with driver board - available from ebay, or from us!
- Adjustable-friction hinges - available from Mcmaster Carr
- all 28 3D-Printed parts for the Darkmatter casing. Source files available on Thingiverse.
- all 12 Laser-cut parts of the Darkmatter casing. Design files up on our Thingiverse.
- an assembled Xduino360 board (Arduino-compatible). Board design + programming files are also up on Thingiverse
- MPR121 breakout board - available on Sparkfun
- RTV Silicone sealant
- custom USB/Audio breakout PCB - you can make this yourself or source one from us
- custom HDMI cable - you can make this yourself or source one from us
Remaining supplies are below.
- Wire strippers/cutters
- a screwdriver set
- a set of files
- Soldering station + soldering wire
- Wire strippers/cutters
- M3 x 6 and M3 x 8 Countersunk screws - 30 each, available from Mcmaster Carr
- M3 x 10 Countersunk screws - 10, available from Mcmaster Carr
- M3 x 12, M3 x 20 and M4 x 6 Countersunk screws - 4 each, available from Mcmaster Carr
- Pan Head screws - M4 x 16, M4 x 20 - 4 each, available from Mcmaster Carr
- 16mm M3, 22mm M3, and 6mm M4 Hex standoffs - 4 each, available from Mcmaster Carr
- 6mm M3 Hex standoffs - 10, available from Mcmaster Carr
- 66 M3 Hex nut, available from Mcmaster Carr
- 16 M4 Hex nuts, available from Mcmaster Carr
- SATA cable - available at a local Fry's store
- Three RGB LED strips - Radioshack
- Two 2W 8ohm Laptop speakers - available on ebay and from us
- Two 17CFM Laptop blower fans - available from us and ebay
- One 5V (7805) regulator - Radioshack, Fry's...
- Allen key set - available from Lowe's or Home depot
- Plastic film
- Four common pins
- Heatshrink tubing - 1mm, 2mm - from Radioshack
- 16mm inner diameter cooling ducts/tubing & cable ties - from Lowe's/Home depot
- Tapes - Fabric, Masking, Dual tape
- Glues - epoxy, super glue
- Braided core wires - from Radioshack
- Shielded core wires - from Radioshack
We won't be showing you how to disassemble your Xbox 360 console since that's been covered many times already on the web. Here are some resources to guide you, just follow them along right now and your console will be fully disassembled, ready to transform into Darkmatter:
This instructable is 95% complete and we will be fine-tuning it over time, but for all intents & purposes this instructable is ready to be utilized to make your own Darkmatter laptop. The text in each step provide a quick summary of the instructions, while the tagged photos will give the finer details of the process. Now let's start with the assembly!