These days there are tonnes of services for building websites with and there are also a lot of sites and communities well suited to those not wanting to go through the effort of building an entire site from scratch.
If you just need a site to showcase your stuff then chances are you could put one together over an afternoon, for a more complex site it'll take more time.
I have since revamped my website - it's now at http://killerjackalope.com/
My actual site is here - killerjackalope.co.nr
Which is a redirect of - killerjackalope.zxq.net
Step 1: Tools, materials, skills
- A computer running
- Photoshop or your image editor of choice (you may need to download plugins to output HTML)
- Dreamweaver or your editor and FTP client of choice
- A decent internet connection
- An email address, if you don't have one I doubt you'll make it through this
- You'll likely need a camera
- Pens and paper
- Content - I'll talk on this more later but you'll certainly need to fill your site with something
- Spare space on your HDD
- Time and patience.
- A basic knowledge of how to use your computer, the internet
- The majority of this requires very little coding knowledge, so don't be intimidated
- A sense of design
- Knowing how to use photoshop would be nice, paint.NET or GIMP