Step 1: Here’s what you need to make your Hovercraft!
CD or DVD
Packing foam (1-2” piece with a flat side) or dry sponge
Step 2: Build the air supply
- Cut the straw in half.
- Slip it one or two inches into the balloon.
- Attach the balloon to the straw, using tape or a rubber band. Make the seal tight enough so no air escapes, but not so tight that it blocks the air from flowing through the straw.
Step 3: Make the collar
- Find the flattest, smoothest side of the foam or sponge.
- Use a barbecue skewer to poke a hole through the flat side.
Step 4: Make the collar (continued)
- Widen the hole with a sharp pencil. Make it about the width of a straw.
Step 5: Attach the collar to the base
- Put the flat side of the collar against the disc.
- Line up the hole you made in the collar with the hole in the disc.
- Tape the collar and disc together. Make sure no tape ends up on the bottom of the disk. (That will make the bottom rough and uneven, which will stop the hovercraft.)
Step 6: Add the air supply
- Push the open end of the straw into the collar. It should fit tightly.
- Push the straw through the collar so you can blow into it.
- TIP: If the collar is not holding the straw… The straw should sit snugly in the foam or sponge. If the hole is too big, and the straw can move within it, the air will escape. Make a new collar.
Step 8: Power your hovercraft
- Once the balloon is full, pinch the straw so that no air escapes.
- Slide the straw back up into the collar so the tip isn’t poking out. (If it does, it will drag on the surface and stop the hovercraft.)