A streamlined version is now described here.
The purpose of this project is to build an alarm clock similar to the one presented in the video below.
Beside the enclosure, the original feature of IllyClock is showing the time in colors: 3 hours before wake-up time, color changes from green to orange; 1 hour before wake-up, the time is shown in red. One can estimate how much sleep is left just by squinting at the clock.
Parts you will need:
- Illy coffee can (250g); chosen because it is easy to find, has a screw-in lid (for ease of access to internals) and it can nicely accommodate two medium size LED matrices on top of each other;
- Wiseduino kit (buy here): this is an Arduino clone with a real time clock chip (DS1307) and an EEPROM (24LC256) on board;
- dual bi-color LED matrix shield kit (buy here).
These are the five major steps in building this project:
1. assembling Wiseduino;
2. assembling the LED matrix shield;
3. programming Wiseduino with the provided software (open source, downloadable);
4. preparing the coffee can as an enclosure (cutting the display opening in the coffee can, drilling the lid for the rotary encoder);
5. install the electronics.