In this instructable I will show you how to make a 3d printer under 200$.
This 3D printer -Tower Simple XL, Maybe I should call it 3D printer of Sauron, lol.
This 3D printer have 6* 6* 6 Inches build volum and you can build it without any 3Dprint part.(*Laser cutting needed*)
If you like this instructable, comment and share this project with your friends who might like this instructable.
Thanks very much.
Step 1: Mechanical Parts List
I buy these things on Alibaba, these things will be more expensive on ebay.
This is the reason why I can build 3D printer under 200$.
M3 10mm screws *29
M3 16mm screws *48
M3 nuts *42
M4 16mm screws *4
M4 nuts *4
M4 shim *4
624 bearing *4
T8 Leadscrew 285mm *1
Leadscrew nuts *1
M3 spring 8mm *5
M5 spring 20mm *1
Coupler 5mm to 8mm *1
M3 pillars 16mm *5
M3 pillars 60mm *1
MXL 20T pulley *2
MXL belt *2
Cylinder Liner Rail Linear 8-215MM *4
Cylinder Liner Rail Linear 8-340MM *2
End stop *3
Nema 17 *4
Step 2: Lasercut Parts
Download lasercut files from this thingiverse link:
Step 3: Laser Cut Wood
Laser cutting by 6 mm wood board
Step 4: Laser Cut Acrylic
Laser cutting by 6 mm acrylic
Step 5: Fixed Stepper Motors and 624 Bearings to Acrylic
Use m3 *10mm screws attach the nema 17 stepper motor to the acrylic piece
Step 6: Build the Main Body
Install acrylic part into main body
in this step we need to use the laser cut parts that i point out highlight
- Laser cut parts 1 &4 &5 &12 &16
Step 7: Mount the Leadscrew Nut
Mount the leadscrew nut into nut holder piece
in this step we need to use the laser cut part that i point out highlight
- Laser cut parts 8 &10
- First attach parts 9 and 11
- Then fit the two onto part 13
- Third attach previous assembly to the end of part 14
- Then add part 3 to the other end as depicted
- Fifth attach part 2 to the previously assembled parts
- Zip tie bearings on to base plate as demonstrated
- Make sure to put the nub of the zip ties as shown
- Place smooth rods through the bearings to ensure alignment as zip ties are tightened
- Use pliers to tighten zip-ties as much as possible but be aware of the fragility of the wood
- Zip-tie the bearings onto acrylic part as depicted
- Place smooth rods though bearings while zip-tying to ensure they are straight and parallel
- Tighten zip-ties using pliers
- Insert smooth rods into bearings
- Secure the previously assembled piece to smooth rods with a zip-tie on each end
- Make sure the zip-tie nobs are on the outer side of the assembly (otherwise they will obstruct y-axis movement)
- Insert smooth rods into LM8UU bearings
- Attach part 7 to rest of assembly by zip-tying it onto smooth rods- Make sure the nubs of the zip-ties are on the outer side of the print platform
- Make sure the M3 16mm screw is on the left side of the print platform
-Attach X axis MXL belt to wood part 7
-Attach the nema 17 stepper motor to wood part 4
-Attach Z axis endstop to wood part 4 with wood part 15
-Attach X axis endstop to wood part 4 on left side
-Attach M3*16 pillars to wood part 7
-Attach M3*16 screw with two M3 nuts to wood part 7
-Attach Y axis endstop to acrylic part on left side
-Insert the M3*16 screw through the wood part 8
-Then insert M3*60 pillar and M3 spring 8mm to the screw (to hit the Z endstop)
-Then insert M3*16 screw and M3 spring 8mm to the M3*16 pillars on wood part 6
And now we have successfully assembled a Tower Simple XL mechanical parts.
Next time i will publish the updated firmware and electronic parts assembly guide.
Step 16: Electronic Parts List
1. LCD 2004 *1
2. Arduino Mega 2560 *1
3. Ramps 1.4 *1
4. A4988 StepStick Stepper Motor Driver *4
5. 12V 40W Heating pipe *1
6. NTC Thermistor 100k
Step 17: Upload Firmware to Arduino Mega2560
1.Connecting Arduino Mega 2560 to computer.
2.Click install custom firmware.
3.Choose "TowerSimpleXL-2004" to upload (Ignore Warnings).
Download hex file from this thingiverse link:
1. Attach A4988 StepStick Stepper Motor Driver to Ramps 1.4 motherboard.
2. Attach LCD 2004 to Ramps 1.4 motherboard.
3. Attach Ramps 1.4 motherboard to Arduino Mega 2560.
Connect the power, more than 6 amps of 12v power supply.
I also designed a control box to install the control panel.
Download control box file from this thingiverse link:
Step 20: The Most Important Step
This is the most important step, I know you can't understand schematics, so, i hope you can understand the picture that i made.
Wiki of Ramps: http://www.reprap.org/wiki/Ramps
Step 21: Light It Up and Print Something
Test, I print a xiaomi yi camera mount to replace the previous version and it works well. so meme.
Download xiaomi yi carera files from this thingiverse link:
Step 22: Place for Filament Roll
1. M4 shim *4
2. M4 16mm screws *4
3. M4 nuts *4
4. 624 bearing *4
5. Pipes 90mm diameter 13mm *2
This pipe can fit 624 bearing very well.