Step 1: The Idea
I wanted to do my own “creepy” version of this type of creature. So, I came up with the idea of “The Biscuit Beastie”
I started with a concept sketch.
Step 2: The EYES Have It
I normally paint the pupils from scratch, but this time I used a technique I haven’t tried in a while. I picked out some plastic coloured gemstones that you can get at most craft stores. I used a dremmel to carve out the black pupil and I used an exact-o blade to scratch in the texture of the pupil from behind.
I then inlayed the gemstone into the white blank and epoxy glued them together.
I coated the whole eye with epoxy to give it a natural “wet” look. I also added purple nylon filaments around the edges of the eyes for a bit of a “blood shot” look.
Step 3: The Mouth
I adhered the mouth shape to a heavy duty cotton sleeve. Essentially it is a sock, hence this could be called an elaborate sock puppet.
Step 4: Foam Skull
For his skull, I used high density foam to shape his eye sockets, jaw and nose bridge shape. I filled out his cheeks with Scott foam.
For his teeth, I used some Halloween costume false teeth. A friend of mine who owned a costume rental outlet that had closed and I was given most of her inventory. So, I had a box full of these vinyl dentures to use.
For the body core base, I used more high density foam to construct a simple barrel chest.
Step 5: Body Building
I used thin foam around his neck and gullet so that his chin would still flex and pucker when he was puppeteered.
I fashioned a nose for him using Sculpey “Flex”. A polymer clay that has flexible qualities when cured. Again, know this was a “one-off” puppet, I did this instead of making a master sculpt out of clay, casting it and molding it out of latex.
I placed soft leather pads on the inside of the eye sockets and I coated the teeth with epoxy to add to their strength as well as give them a glossy finish.
Step 6: Now That's Handy
The foam was carved and shaped into fingers that could be bent and are strong enough to “grasp” light objects.
I added claws to the fingers with epoxy putty.
Step 7: Gimme Some Skin!
I completed the body assembly using a mixture of high density foam, Scott foam, Pink Styrofoam. Depending on how flexible certain parts of his anatomy needed to be, I used a different material.
Then it was time to start putting on his skin. I used Antron “muppet” fleece and carefully glued and stitched that all into place.