Introduction: Built in Storage for Our Laundry Room!
Our laundry room is basically a large closet off of our dining room/entry room in our home. Is having the laundry room in our dining room ideal? Of course not, but with an old house sometimes the only options are really not all that great. But, I digress, so far it hasn’t bother Joe or I at all, the dining room is big enough and our laundry room/closet is plenty big enough so it hasn’t at all been a problem. We have a scratch and dent certified new LG washer/dryer combo, just in case you were wondering why there was only one machine that looks like a washing machine in the picture We love our washer/dryer combo so far and I, personally, would never go back to two machines. Here’s how it looked when I got started:
Step 1: Build the Basic Frame Out of 2x4s
This is after we installed and then gave the upper cabinets a face life. After that there was a whole lot of ugly going on. We did not extend our new wood floors into the laundry closet/room and the whole room is still lacking doors so I needed to do something badly in here. First thing was: we really needed more storage. Second thing was: I happened to have an old metal counter top (it came off of this cabinet that we ended up using in our kitchen) that needed a home, so, I got to building!
Step 2: Easy to Build
The construction was as simple as simple can get. Just a frame of 2x4s the depth and width of the counter top built right around the washer/dryer combo. I used screws and our impact driver for the whole assembly and it came together really quick and easy. (I will be covering the two sides of the cabinet in the future with plywood to help cut down on the noise from the machine as well.)
Step 3: Now on to the Shelves
I used scrap 1x4s for the shelf supports and carefully used screws on them as well… I say carefully because 1x4s split very easily. From there I went hunting for shelf material and found we had a 1×10 left over from other shelf projects in our garage. With the shelves in we immediately started using them! It’s still wasn’t pretty yet but it was SO great to finally get everything off the floor. (Note: I know that this warm and damp environment is the worst possible place for squash but we simply had no other place for them, I will be moving them to a better location soon.)
Step 4: Paint and a Curtain to Make It Pretty!
After a few days I finally had the time one day after work to get moving on making the entire thing pretty and nice. I knew I had some extra dowels in the barn left over from my grandparents so I just went to walmart in search of a little curtain of some kind. I cut the dowel with a pair of scissors and used some left over eye hooks that I screwed in to rest the dowel in.
Step 5: The Finished Product!
From there I just needed lots of white paint. I went ahead and hit the floors with one coat as well because they just looked dirty before (though they weren’t) I think the whole room/closet came together nice! Having the metal counter top now for folding is just awesome and the three deep shelves as well as the upper cabinets took care of all of our storage needs! Now, I just need to get closet doors built and put in so I can show you our dining room!
Thanks, as always, for stopping by guys, if you liked this post you could sign up for our newsletter so you don’t miss any in the future!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.