Introduction: Butter Chicken (Tandoori) & Dates Rice Pudding
In this Instructable, I would like to show how to make a rich and tasty Indian recipe that can make a complete dinner.It consist of Juicy tandoori chicken, creamy rich butter chicken and tasty dates rice pudding served with jeera (cumin) rice.
Tandoori Chickenis a popular Indian dish, consisting of roasted chicken prepared with yogurt and spices. The name comes from the type of cylindrical clay oven, a tandoor, in which the dish is traditionally prepared. (Thanks to Wikipedia)
Butter Chicken (Tandoori) is a creamy curry Indian recipe that combines ethnic spices with simple ingredients like onion, butter, and tomatoes for a tasty dish. This recipe is divided into two parts: making the Tandoori chicken , then using the Tandoori chicken to make butter chicken!
Dates rice pudding is a rich, healthy and tasty dessert made with dates, rice and milk.
Jeera(cumin) rice is a simple boiled rice flavored with cumin seeds, bay leaf, cardamon and cloves.
Prepare and enjoy it with your loved one for a dinner and make memorable date night!!!
Step 1: Ingredients
1) Tandoori chicken pieces
2) Chopped Onion - 1
3) Chopped Tomato - 2
4) Ginger and Garlic
5) Chopped Cilantro - few strands
6) Chilli powder - 1/2 Tsp
7) Curry Powder - 1 Tsp
8) Garam masala - 1/2 Tsp
9) Cumin seeds - 1 Tsp
10) Dry Fenugreek leaves - 1 Tsp
11) Cashew nuts - 1 Tbsp
12) Butter - 3 - 4 Tbsp
13 ) Cream - 2-3 Tbsp
14) Food color (Red)
Dates Rice Pudding
1) Long Grain Rice - 1Tbsp
2) Dates - 5 -6 pieces (seeds removed and chopped into small chunks)
3) Chopped Almonds, Grapes and Cashews - 1/4 Cup
4) Milk - 2 Cups
5) Sugar - less than 1/3 Cup (as per taste)
6) Cardamom powder - 1/2 Tsp
7) Butter - 2 Tbsp
Jeera (Cumin) Rice
1) Cooked Rice - 1 Cup
2) Cumin Seeds - 1 Tsp
3) Bay leaf - 1
4) Cardamom - 2
5) Cloves - 4
6) Chopped Cilantro - few strands
Step 2: Butter Chicken
1) Place a pan on medium heat and add butter(1 Tbsp)
2) Once the butter melts, add the cumin seeds, onions, ginger garlic, cashew nuts, tomatoes and mix well.
3) Season with salt and cook covered till everything turns soft.
4) Now add the chilli powder,garam masala, curry powder and dry fenugreek leaves and mix well.
5) Now allow this mixture to cool down and grind it to a very smooth paste.
6) Place another pan on medium heat and add the rest of the butter.
7) Once the butter melts add the grind paste and season it .
8) To give a restaurant effect add in few drops of food coloring and add pinch(1/4 Tsp) of sugar.
9) Then add the chopped Tandoori chicken (bones removed) to the gravy and allow it cook for few minutes.
10) Finally add the cream and garnish with cilantro leaves.
Step 3: Dates Rice Pudding
1) Soak the rice and dates in warm water.
2) Place a pan on medium heat and add butter.
3) Once the butter is melted add in the nuts and saute till they are slightly brown
4) Remove the fried nuts and keep it aside.
5) Drain the soaked rice and crush it as much as possible using hand
6) To the same pan, add the rice and saute for few minutes.
7) Then add the milk to the pan and put it on low heat and cook till the rice is completely cooked with occasional stirring.
8) Add the Cardamom powder to it.
9) Once the rice is cooked add the soaked dates along with the water(mash it before adding or grind it to a paste as preferred)
10) Cover the lid and cook on low heat (occasionally stirring)
11) Using a potato masher mash it up so that there will be a even texture
12) Add sugar as per taste as the dates its will be sweet.(I used less than 1/3 cup sugar )
13) Add the fried nuts and garnish. Serve hot or cold as per wish.
Step 4: Jeera Rice
1) Heat a pan on medium heat and add butter.
2) Once the butter melts add bay leaf, cardamom, cloves and cumin seeds.
3) Once the Cumin seeds crackle, switch off the stove and add the cooked rice.
4) Saute well and garnish with chopped cilantro.
First Prize in the
Date Night Dinners Challenge