Step 1: Recommended Items...
1. A multi-tool or a knife and screwdriver (+ or - or both).
2. Two small(1/4 inch to 1/2 inch) screws.
3. A long dowel or stick about the diameter of the pencil you are using. I recommend using a slightly larger diameter dowel/stick, that way you can enclose the pencil better making it more compact.
4. A pencil (obviously. Except I took this picture after I made it so there is a pen in the picture.
5. A small chunk of plastic from an easter bucket or something plastic, thin, and worthless. I used the bottom of an empty O-J jug.
6. Tape. Anything except scotch tape should work
7. A marker to decorate it ( optional ).
Step 2: Put the materials to work...
The contraption will be built in a series of three steps: fastening the pencil and preparing the hinge, making the handle, and making the hinge which completes the product.
First, gather your pencil, tape and plastic. Now place the pencil in between the plastic pieces and tape it there. It should look like this: