Step 1: Recommended Items...
1. A multi-tool or a knife and screwdriver (+ or - or both).
2. Two small(1/4 inch to 1/2 inch) screws.
3. A long dowel or stick about the diameter of the pencil you are using. I recommend using a slightly larger diameter dowel/stick, that way you can enclose the pencil better making it more compact.
4. A pencil (obviously. Except I took this picture after I made it so there is a pen in the picture.
5. A small chunk of plastic from an easter bucket or something plastic, thin, and worthless. I used the bottom of an empty O-J jug.
6. Tape. Anything except scotch tape should work
7. A marker to decorate it ( optional ).